Wednesday 9 January 2013

Tewkesbury Half Marathon

Wednesday 9th January.

Hi Everyone. This one is aimed mostly at all my friends from Evesham Vale Running Club. A very special bunch of people.

As I have posted before I intend to have a go at this year's Tewkesbury Half Marathon on Sunday the 19th of May. In fact yesterday's little walk included a trip to the post office to put a large letter stamp on my SAE and post the entry.

It will be an unknown quantity for me for some time yet as to how I am going to tackle this. Let's do a bit of a time line. Last session of Chemo should be Thursday 28th of February, although this could move if there are any delays in previous sessions ( lack of bed or my blood count being not up to it ).
After that it is just getting over the treatment hopefully ( did I put 'just' ! ). I will have a scan after 6 weeks, so mid April, to see if the little bastard of a tumor has gone completely or not. They tell me it may disappear completely, especially as it was only 16mm long at last scan after my op, or it may leave a little grissle like lump. If it does leave a lump then it needs to be removed for tests and the surgery would put paid to any hope I have of even making the start line.

So realistically I could have around a 6-7 weeks training, in which case I would hope to be able to jog or jog/walk depending on how long the tiredness lasts, which could be weeks, months or a year. Or I may just be able to walk. Or I may not make it at all.

Having read this I have some 'terms and conditions' for those friends who have indicated or offered to enter the race with me or to come and support me.

If you want to run/walk with me you will be very welcome, I think I will need some help. However if I am not able to start and you have a place in the race then I will be expecting a long list of PBs. Tewkesbury has always been a fast race for me. My quickest 2 times, set in 2004 and 2010, were here so I will accept no excuses. Please bear this in mind if you are thinking of entering.

Thanks again to everyone who has made the offers of help, both with this race and just in general. It has been quite overwhelming.

Cheers

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment