Monday 4 February 2013

What is normal?

Monday 4th February

I felt I had to write about my 'normal' days yesterday and today. There is a difference between a normal day before I had this inconvenient illness and now that I do.

The good night's sleep is pretty much the same, only that I have to be careful not to lie with any pressure on my bad leg. Talking of which I put yesterday that it was a bit better, which is true but for instance after we had been watching television in the evening, sitting with my leg up not really moving for an hour, it is still very painful when you first move. Added to that it is OK when walking around but you only have to stand still for about ten seconds before the pain comes.

There was no sickness yesterday but after taking my anti-biotics I still lie there wondering if it will come when I stand up, as that is when it has come the previous mornings.

I also put yesterday that I had been in the garden for an hour. Perfectly normal except for a couple of things. I have to remember to put on gloves which I normally would not bother with, but the risk from getting a scratch infected is just too great. Also I had to stop when I realised that whilst pulling up some weeds my arms were actually shaking, not from cold but from the effort required. The tiredness hits really quickly, from OK to exhausted in a moment. I had to come in and just sit down straight away and do absolutely nothing for half an hour.

I have to admit that going to Mandy's mum's for lunch is pretty normal, except for the lack of taste buds that I have at the moment. Shame as she is a good cook. The only different thing is that it is too painful to sit at the table for long so I have to keep getting up and walking around. Unfortunately this means I have to help clear the dishes!!

The trip to Stratford was relatively OK. I have no enthusiasm for shopping, which is actually unusual for me. Ben did manage to spend his HMV voucher so job done there. He bought a rather excellent Slipknot CD which I am listening to at the moment. Thank God the chemo has not changed my music taste which obviously is excellent.

Other small niggles are there also. I keep having nosebleeds. They are only small, nothing to worry about but will not heel due to the drugs so every time I blow my nose hard it happens again. I also have a slightly upset stomach ( no details I promise ) but this is a side effect of the anti-biotics. Why do all the things I take to make one thing better make something else worse?

So bearing all this in mind I have had another normal day today. 'Uncle' Colin came round to see me today for a catch up which was good. This afternoon I had a 'haircut' so I am now completely bald, but still devastatingly handsome. Quick trip to Tesco for bread.

That's about it for today. Here's to more 'normality' tomorrow.

Cheers

Tim

1 comment:

  1. Aged Aunt here trying once more to post a flaming comment!! It is just to thank all Tim and Mandy's friends who have been so supportive. Keep it up guys while we , far away in New Zealand, are boosting Telecoms finances.
    Jac and Rob.

    ReplyDelete